This case illustrates when an employee can qualify for protection from discrimination due to menopause symptoms
In this episode 216 of the podcast I bring you a summary of a case that was decided by the Employment Tribunal in regards to the issue of whether an employee was treated less favourably due to menopause symptoms and whether her employer was under an obligation to make a reasonable adjustments. The case is Mrs M Lynskey v Direct Line Insurance Services Ltd.
In this episode of the podcast we cover:
- When menopause symptoms could qualify someone for protection under the Equality Act.
- The types of other claims that employees could bring if treated to their detriment because of menopause.
- Why the Employment Tribunal considered that the employer’s attempts at adjustments were not sufficient.
- Why the Employment Tribunal awarded Mrs Lynskey aggravated damages in this case.
- Tips for employers in ensuring that they behave in an inclusive, fair and reasonable manner with employees who are experiencing menopause symptoms.
- Why we recommend that employers look at making reasonable adjustments, regardless of whether an employee has a confirmed disability.
You can read the full judgement here: https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-decisions/mrs-m-lynskey-v-direct-line-insurance-services-ltd-1802204-slash-2022-and-1802386-slash-2022
Other resources regarding menopause
Training for your Team
Would you like to arrange training for your team to reduce the risk of both unhappy employees and claims being made against you? Please get in touch for a no obligation discussion, we can offer training anywhere in the UK in person or delivered remotely via MS Teams.
Please drop me an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fixed Price Advice from Real Experts
As part of our HR Harbour annual subscription service for employers we provide guidance and training for employers, supervisors and managers. If you would like to know more about the HR Harbour Service and how you can get unlimited support from as little as £210 per month please contact me for a no obligation discussion – email@example.com or you can find full details here: HR Harbour
Don’t forget you can contact us by telephone 01983 897003, 01722 653001, 020 3470 0007, 0191 375 9694 or 023 8098 2006
We have a variety of free documents and letters which are available to download here: DIY Documents
We are also on YouTube! You can find a range of topics and also listen to this podcast on YouTube here: YOUTUBE