To coincide with World Menopause Day on 18 October 2019, Acas published new guidance for employers and managers to help support staff affected by symptoms of menopause at work.
Acas reports that over 2 million women over 50 experience difficulties at work due to menopausal symptoms and that 1 in 20 women are estimated to have early menopause. Given these statistics, this guidance is a welcome addition to the resources available from Acas.
The guidance includes:
- Information about the symptoms of menopause, why help and support may be needed at work and why it can be difficult for women to disclose their symptoms at work;
- Suggestions of how to support a member of staff through menopause with an emphasis on training managers to be able to do this;
- Advice on managing an employee’s sickness absence or job performance where affected by menopause;
- Information on how and when to agree changes at work to help an employee manage their symptoms; and
- A brief outline of the legal issues that may relate to menopause and perimenopause.
The link to the guidance is here: