A reflection on Gender Equality in the lead up to International Women’s Day 2019
In this episode of the podcast I reflect on some of the issues facing women in the workplace including the challenges and statistics of the number of women who are leading the way in FTSE companies.
In this episode I will cover:
- Why inequality is part of our recent history and some of the issues women have overcome at work in only the last 100 years.
- Recent statistics on the numbers of women leading FTSE 100 and FTSE 350 companies.
- Some of the most shocking reasons why women are not making it onto the Boards of these ‘leading’ companies.
- Why having a gender balance is actually good for business.
- Some top tips on how you can start to address the imbalance in your business or organisation.
- The Equality Act provisions on positive action and when it is permitted.
- Track and measure so that you understand statistics on gender equality in your business or organisation.
- Tailor and target your recruitment marketing for women.
- Set up mentoring and ensure that the female leaders in your business or organisation are visible to others.
- Address and explore unconscious bias and preconceived ideas that may have developed at a senior level.
- Develop a strategy for what you want to achieve and get buy in to this at all levels.
- Ensure that all managers and senior staff have training in respect of equality and diversity.
- Look at the culture in your business and make changes where the culture does not reflect your strategy.
- Address complaints and issues quickly and take them seriously.
- Be proactive and build confidence of staff who have ambition or talent to be a future leader.
- Introduce a clear salary structure based on tangible measure.
We offer training on Equality and Diversity for staff and we can review your contracts, procedures and Handbooks for you so please do get in touch if we can be of any assistance.
Please do leave any comments, ideas and best practice below. Please ensure that any comments are respectful to all views and opinions.
As part of our HR Harbour annual subscription service for employers we provide guidance and training on the Equality Act 2010. If you would like to know more about the HR Harbour Service and how you can get unlimited support from as little as £180 per month please contact me for a no obligation discussion – firstname.lastname@example.org or you can find full details here: HR Harbour
Don’t forget you can contact us by email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 01983 897003, 01722 653001 or 023 8098 2006
The only data we will hold is your name and email address.
Would you like advice about your situation?
Appointments are available on the telephone or via Skype throughout the UK.
Alternatively we offer face to face appointments on the Isle of Wight, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Southampton, Fareham, Portsmouth, Winchester and surrounding areas in Hampshire.
The information contained in this Podcast and post is provided for guidance and is a snapshot of the law at the time. It is provided for your information only and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice that it specific to your particular circumstances.
The guidance should not be relied upon in any decision making process. It is strongly recommended that you seek advice before taking action.
Solicitors Isle of Wight | Solicitors Salisbury | Solicitors Eastleigh
HR Isle of Wight | HR Salisbury | HR Eastleigh